Tuesday, March 13, 2018

PUPPET CHAOS- PART 2

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT A LITTLE FISH. WHERE DO I BEGIN?

When I decided I was making a fish puppet for my film,  it all seemed lovely. I had made a puppet last year using a similar method, and I was pretty well-versed in using the clay,  life was beautiful. You know, I had my struggles last year, it being the first time I made something like it, but I learned from them. Still, nothing could prepare me for the emotional rollercoaster that was making this stupid disgrace of a fish. 

You see, at a glance, a quirky and cute fish seems like a grand idea. Cute bug eyes, small little fins, and a pouty mouth, what could go wrong?
Well let me save you the trouble of figuring that out: fish live underwater. This simple realization marked the beginning of a nauseating, stressful downward spiral into a violent  storm of clay, toxic fixative sprays, and a stupid fish. 
Me, stressed.


Making the fish was relatively easy, I used a styrofoam ball as the base, and I sculpted with air dry clay around it. It was perfect, I tested last years puppet to make sure it would float. The plan was for the fish to float while being held down by a clear string to the bottom of the tank.


Started from styrofoam and built around
it. 
I tested whether the head would float
 with clay on it
 (she survived don't worry)

















Three interchangeable mouths
that will allow me to animate.
The fins are made with aluminum wire,
foam, and plasticine.















The fish was done, and if I do say so myself it's pretty cute. BUT  LITTLE DID I KNOw,  AIR DRY CLAY DISSOLVES IN WATER. The challenge was now to waterproof a material that was essentially made to be dissolved in water. So I did some research, and apparently I could spray it with either acrylic sealant or enamel clear coat to "waterproof" it (though some people warned against it). 

So I went to my local arts and crafts store and upon seeing the health warnings on the cans my mom was immediately against the acrylic sealant.  Enamel spray was something more familiar so we just went with that instead... except we didn't, we picked out the can one spot to the right of the one we needed. This spray turned out to be lacquer, which was the cherry on top of a messy Sunday evening. You see, according to my dad, lacquer would eventually decompose the air dry clay- destroying my newborn fish child. 

So I did what any panicking mother would and after an hour of sitting on my living room floor, stress eating, I was reminded by my friend Zoe that I could just sand the coating off. 

All good, right? NOPE

I still had to find a way to seal it. So I went to the store and got myself a good ol' can of enamel clear coat. When I tell you I sprayed that fish, I mean I sprayed that fish, and after about ten coats of the thing I decided that was enough. My puppet child was covered, shiny and protected from the evils of H20 ready to be painted with beautiful...water-based...acrylic paint- shit. 

So I did what any rational human being would do, and I ate an entire 12 oz bag of plantain chips as I paced around my house, whining, trying to figure this mess out. After whining for an appropriate amount of time,  Zoe came to the rescue again and suggested  that I sand it and paint over it. A quick online search confirmed this will help the acrylic paint stick, but I really don't know what to trust anymore...



ANYWAY HAVE A NICE DAY!

Me again, still stressed but hopeful.




No comments:

Post a Comment