Saturday, March 17, 2018

Time is a Construct That I Sadly Have to Account For

So, you may have noticed that I said I was going to start filming this week but never did. That's because who I had previously casted to play my lead, my friend Leandro, is out of town this entire week in a drama competition.
Leandro in Little Shop of Horrors. 
Luckily, I realized that I definitely needed the extra time to figure out planning. I hadn't finalized my script, the fish wasn't done, I had no props, and I hadn't decided on locations- I didn't even have an actress to play the mom yet!

So I took care of all those things this week:

- The script and storyboards are done!

- After blood, sweat, and tears, the fish is almost done. I will test whether it's waterproof or not this weekend- there'll be more on that in a later post.

- I have casted a mom. David, a great best friend and wonderful human being (who is also voice acting the fish), asked his mom if she could do it. When David asked her, she sent this really sweet voice message :)



- I coordinated the first day of filming. This Sunday I will be filming all of the dinner scenes
in the afternoon, at David's house.
Kitchen table, photo courtesy of David. 

I'm thinking of using this table for the shots of him as a kid. There's also a bunch of cute "carvings" ( I don't know what else to call them) of cathedrals in Colombia hung up on the walls, which makes sense thematically- implying this took place back when they lived in Venezuela (Colombian cathedrals are similar to those found in Venezuela).






"Dining room" table (another picture by David)
I think I want to use this table for the beginning dinner scene. This table feels much more modern, which would help establish the fact that this takes place later in the protagonist's life.








-  I revised my set design! When I met with my instructor, we talked about how the set design of my white room might be too bleak. She said it could read as a mental hospital, which is definitely not what I'm going for. The bottom line is that if I'm trying to convey my character's psyche, my set design should reflect their personality. I haven't fully decided how I'm going to convey that, but the plan is to build the set and work out the framing to see what works best.

Concept art: I'm considering having a painting  of orchids in the background and blue vines scattered around . 
- I bought props! Last Thursday I went to the dollar store and Michael's (a crafts store), where I bought little pebbles for the fishbowl, white tablecloth, glass milk bottles, and fake blue orchids. Hopefully this will be enough for all of my sets. 

And that's about all I've done so far! I apologize for the simplicity of this post, I'm trying to keep my blog up to date before I get sucked in into filming and editing. I KNOW YOU CANT TELL BUT I'M REALLY EXCITED :D

Until next post, 
See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment