Friday, April 13, 2018

Postcard Progress

work in progress
Last weekend while on the plane back from New York ( I was visiting a school), I began putting my images into photoshop to work on my postcard.

I went with the design of the fish and son facing each other because I felt that it conveyed the feeling of the film best without giving too much away. For my postcard, I wanted to emulate that they were both facing off inside a fishbowl- hence the borders. The painting in the background is a direct reference to the one in the film, and the white silhouette of the orchids reinforces their significance.

I wasn't too fond of this design at first.  It felt like a bunch of images edited together, not a cohesive, finished piece. I didn't work on this again until Monday night.

Once I was home and had access to my drawing tablet, I could alter my postcard and be more precise with my edits. I had originally planned to paint/draw the postcard from scratch, but given I had no time to do so, I resorted to putting filters on the images and then painting over it with the same technique I would use in a real painting. This also really helped to integrate the background and foreground and to unify the whole piece. Lastly, I changed the layout of the border and text. I don't know what I was thinking the first time around, but thankfully I came to my senses.

Finished Front
For the back, I used this website and my instructor's advice as a guide.
Finished Back
Until next time,
See ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment