Sunday, April 8, 2018

PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

As you may have guessed from a previous post, my good friend Zoe is helping me out with music.

When I say "helping," I really mean HELPING. A couple weeks back,  Zoe randomly and benevolently offered to compose the entire score for my film. Now I really don't know how to emphasize this enough, BUT SHE MADE MUSIC, THAT SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL, FROM NOTHING. But before I show you, let me give you some insight into the creative process.

Before she could do anything, she needed some inspiration. She already knew what my film was about but not necessarily what it would sound like. So I gave her a list of songs from movie scores that I liked the sound of, and she predominantly used songs from The Shape of Water and Lady Bird. 

This was one of the first samples:



A few weeks passed until we discussed music again. I basically needed to finish editing so we could work out the pacing. Once I had a rough edit, I sent her this guide so that she knew what kinds of sounds corresponded to the different scenes. We talked about having the sounds in these scenes be derivative of the original sample, so that in the end, the sounds from the disparate scenes would appear to come together in one cohesive piece- just a lil reverse engineering.

During the final stages of the composing, feedback was pretty easy because of technology. Zoe would quickly make edits, I would almost cry listening, and then send notes.

I began writing this blog post earlier in the week, but as of now, the music is done!!! I can't thank Zoe enough for her help with it, and I'm so so happy with it. If you have the time, I highly recommend checking out her portfolio project!

Here it is! Be warned, you may cry.






Del Toro, Guillermo, director. The Shape of Water . Fox Searchlight Pictures , 2017. Gerwig, Greta, director. Ladybird. A24, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment